11/27/2016

A Little Discussion on Nisse vs Gnome and Elves

In Denmark we call gnomes for "Nisser" - or "Nisse" if there is only one. I like the Danish word more than the English word because "Gnome" sounds more like an ugly old man who does mean things to people. Traditionally that is of course what a gnome was, but the word really doesn't fit with the cute, slightly mischievous nisser we have today.

I know you can also use the word "Elf" but I think that really just points to elves that work at Santa's workshop. Otherwise I think of elves as flying forest creatures. However, since I don't know how many people outside Scandinavia know what a "nisse" is, I guess I have to live with the word "gnome" and "elves" - But like "hygge" maybe we could lobby the English speaking world to adopt "nisse" ;)

These are some more of my favorite Christmas nisser that I am selling at my Etsy shop. They are so full of charm and character they seem almost alive.

(this sweet Christmas elf has been sold)





SOLD





No comments:

Post a Comment