10/15/2016

Pierre Probst - French Illustrator of Children's Books

Pierre Probst was a French illustrator who lived from 1913-2007. I did not know his drawings when I was a child. I guess, because the books they were in were out of print by the time I was born. Anyhow, I have now found several books with his illustrations at second-hand bookstores, and I really like his drawings. They are fun and cute at the same time.

These two illustrations are from the book "Scamp on Holiday". Interestingly enough the Danish publisher has Pierre Probst down as both the illustrator and the author, but really it was written by the famous writer Enid Blyton. I only discovered this when I found an English cover for the book on Google. Also the Danish book was translated from French - and has 1953 as the year of Copyright - while the English version is copyrighted 1954. Odd.






No comments:

Post a Comment