10/03/2016

Scraps from my childhood

As a girl I collected scraps - a lot of scraps. My sister and I would trade with each other like trading cards. We were very particular about which we wanted to trade and which we wanted to hold on to. I had a great fondness for the old scraps while my sister really liked the fairy tale scraps. To us it didn't really matter what shape they were in if the image was something we liked. We would also play with them as if they were dolls. Or glue them on objects as decoration.

Today I use them primarily for making collages that I frame and hang on my walls. I especially like the ones I made for my daugther's room.

In order not to destroy the scraps I scan and print them. That way I can use them over and over again without doing harm to the original scrap.

On my Etsy Shop I will be putting some of the scrap scans up for sale as digital images (scanned at 400dpi). And some I will sell off completely - the physical scrap itself - if they hold no sentimental value for me.

The boy and girl scraps are German reprints from ca. 1978. I think that the original drawings were done in the 1880s. The fairy tale scraps are scanned originals from the 1940s.






No comments:

Post a Comment